[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: butlh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 27 07:51:35 PDT 2023

Klingon word: 	butlh
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	dirt under fingernails; symbolic equivalent
		of gall, an admirable trait to  have

butlh DaHutlh
You lack dirt under your fingernails. (TKW)

butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'
Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails. (TKW)

(TKW 142):  The Klingon word {butlh} (dirt under fingernails) can be taken literally, but in this expression it means something like effrontery, impudence, brazenness.

SEE ALSO:
qajunpaQ 	courage, audacity, *kajunpakt* (n)
toDuj 		courage, bravery (n)

nItlh 		fingerl (n)
nItlhpach 	fingernail (n)
lam 		dirt (n)
HuH 		bile, gall, slime (n)

Sub 		be brave, heroic, bold, valiant, intrepid (slang v.)
jaq 		be bold (v)
yoH 		be brave (v)
jeQ 		be self-confident (v)
tlhIv 		be insubordinate (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey