[tlhIngan Hol] Glommer

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 19 06:42:24 PDT 2023

Actually, we seem to already have one:  {ghIlo'meH}:
(Felix, 2/13/2018):  The word {ghIlo'meH} (has it been canonized?) has rather an interesting origin.  As far as I can tell, it began its journey in the book “Star Trek: Forged in Fire”, where the author decided to "klingonize" the word *glommer* as *{glo'meH} (which violates ordinary syllable structure in exactly the same way that *glommer* does).  Then *{glo'meH} was used as an English word in “How to Speak Klingon”, which was then properly klingonized as {ghIlo'meH}.  It's essentially come about through a strange game of Telephone/Chinese Whispers ... but then again, I suppose that's true of much of language in general.
See “How to speak Klingon: essential phrases for the intergalactic traveler” by Ben Grossblatt (San Francisco: Chronicle Books, ©2013).  ISBN 9781452118147.

Voragh