[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'ap

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 25 07:59:54 PST 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Klingon word: 	'ap
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	dues, toll
Source: 	qepHom 2020

AFAIK never used in a sentence.  We do have examples of {qav'ap} though:

voHDajbo' qav'ap
mortgage value (MKE)

HoSHal ghajchugh vay', mI' naghmey tIronmoH. wa'maHlogh boq'egh mI' naghmey;
  chen qav'ap. ghajwI'vaD qav'ap yIDIl.
If [energy source is] owned, throw dice and pay owner a total ten times amount
  shown. (MKE)

pIraqSIS HoS waw' ghajlu'chugh, loSlogh boq'egh mI' naghmey mI'; chen qav'ap
If Praxis Energy Facility is owned, rent is 4 times amount shown on dice.  (MKE)

Duj ghajchugh vay', cha'logh boq'egh qav'ap motlh; chen qav'ap le'.
  ghajwI'vaD qav'ap le' yIDIl.
If [ship is] owned, pay owner twice the rental to which they are
  otherwise entitled.  {MKE)

qav'ap DIlmeH beylI' mabwIj ghunlu'ta'
My bank account has been programmed to pay the fee.
My bank pays the fee automatically.
I pay the fee automatically.  (qepHom 2021 booklet p.14)

N.B. Do not confuse with the verb {'ap} "be dented" (qep’a’ 2017).

SEE:
HIjmeH 'ap 	fee paid when bringing certain commodities into a jurisdiction (n)
		[i.e. toll, customs duties]
HIjmeH 'ap pIn 	customs officer (n)
HuqmeH 'ap 	excise tax, sales tax, VAT (n)
ngeSlIch ‘ap 	interest (on a loan) (n)
qav'ap 		value, rent, sum/amount (of money) (n)
qav’ap juH  	apartment (n)

SEE ALSO
HIj  		deliver,  transport goods (v)
Huq  		transact (v)
ngeSlIch  	loan (n)

Suy 		merchant (n)
HuchQeD 	economics (n)
‘umyotlh 	profit (n)
tlhong 		bargain, barter (v)
mech 		trade (v)
DIl 		pay for (v)
je' 		buy, purchase (v)
ngev 		sell (v)

bIDIlbe'chugh vaj bIHegh
Pay or die!  (TKD)

batlh malja' DaHuq
You transact business honorably.  (PK)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey