[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nav vaH

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 23 07:14:05 PST 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, January 22, 2023

Klingon word: nav vaH
Part of speech: noun
Definition: envelope (paper cover)
Source: qepHom 2015 p.18

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

(MO > Lieven wrote (10/29/2015), qepHom 2015):  Here are some more words related to paper: a letter, that is a message written on a sheet of paper and sent to someone is a {nav QIn}.  An envelope is called {nav vaH}.  In context, {vaH} by itself is enough.  The word {vaH} can actually be used for everything you put something inside of it. It's a cover for it.

(Lieven, 11/5/2015):  I asked Okrand about this [at qepHom 2015], and he first said "Why can't a thing have two words?" He later went into detail, saying that a {vaH} can be used for any kind of cover you use to put things in, for instance also a CD sleeve. The {vaH} is usually a finished piece of material. The word {qatwI'} is a more literal translation of the meaning "envelope". Sometimes you can look at an envelope and see how it's made: it's a piece of paper wrapping around something. Next Okrand said that if there were a Klingon-Klingon dictionary, {nav qatwI'} would be a good description for a {nav vaH}.

(qepHom 2015 p.18):
MO:  The verb {vev} means "insert, put in", so the stapler is literally a device that "puts in" the staple ({Ha'on}) into the paper.  …
LLL:   What else can I {vev}?
MO:  You could put the letter in the envelope. Or put a pen into a pen holder.

SEE ALSO:
nav  		paper (n)
nav HablI'  	FAX (machine) (n)
nav qatwI'  	envelope (n) TNK
nav QIn  	letter (message) (n)

vaH  		holster, sheath, knife case (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey