[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: jungwoq

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 18 07:38:09 PST 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Klingon word: 	jungwoq
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	China
Source: 	TalkNow - Learn Klingon!, revealed 30 September 2011

(De'vID, 11/14/2011):  MO did, however, deliberately choose the Cantonese pronunciation for China rather than Mandarin. His reason was that if he had used Mandarin, the name would have ended in {wo'}, and he didn't think Klingons would like to call an Earth country by their word for empire.

i.e. 中國  *Zhongguo* / *Chung-kuo* (Mandarin) and Zhong Gok / Jung Gwok (Cantonese).

SEE ALSO:
‘aSya’ 		Asia
choSan 		[North] Korea
Hanghuq	[South] Korea
vIyetnam 	Vietnam
nIpon 		Japan

“Stand up! Those who refuse to be slaves!” [{bI'reS} of the PRC national anthem]

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey