[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: magh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 11 07:30:56 PST 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Klingon word: magh
Part of speech: verb
Definition: betray

ngoQvam luchavmeH ghawran maghpu' be'nI'pu'
To this end, the sisters have acted against Gowron... in order to gain power. S26

mumaghpu'
He/she has betrayed me. KGT

wo' Damagh 'ej bIHegh
Die betraying the Empire. MKE

qorDu'wIj quvmo' jImaghpu'
The reason of my betrayal was my family honor (PB)

(KGT 147):  This word [{bolwI'}] actually means "drooler" - that is, "one who drools". The nonslang word meaning traitor is {maghwI'} (literally, "one who betrays"). Probably because of the parallel formation of {bolwI'} and {maghwI'} (that is, verb plus {-wI'}), the verb {bol} (drool) is sometimes used to mean betray, as if it were equivalent to {magh}. In this usage, {bol}, like {magh}, may take an object; that is, the sentence may indicate who is betrayed:  {mumaghpu'} ("He/she has betrayed me") or {mubolpu'} ("He/she has betrayed me"; literally, "He/she has drooled me").

SEE:
maghwI'  	traitor (n)
maghwI'na' 	definite traitor, without a doubt a traitor (KGT)

N.B. Do not confuse with the noun {magh} "grass-like plant".

SEE ALSO:
cheH 		defect (v)
choS 		desert (v)
Daw' 		revolt (v)
matlhHa' 	be disloyal (v)
QuS 		conspire (v)
'ur 		commit treason (v)

'urmang 	treason (n)
'urwI' 		traitor (n)

“Romulans – they’re so predictably treacherous.” (Weyoun, DS9 “Image in the Sand”)

“Treason doth never prosper.  What's the reason?  Why, if it prospers, none dare call it treason.” (John Harrington [1561-1612], Epigrams, Book IV, Epistle 5)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey