[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chuHchu'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 4 08:09:13 PST 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, January 04, 2023

Klingon word: 	chuHchu'
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	hit with a thrown spear
Source:

jagh chuHchu' SuvwI'
The warrior spears the enemy perfectly.
The warrior hits the enemy [with a thrown spear].  (KGT p.64))

(KGT 64):  Some spears are simply thrust into an oncoming enemy. Others are generally thrown. The thrower first lowers the spear to a horizontal position (the verb describing this action is {ghuS}), then hurls it with great force (throw or hurl in this manner is {chuH}). The verb {chuH}, which is more accurately translated as spear--that is, hurl a spear at, can be used only if the projectile being thrown is a spear or somehow resembles a spear. The object of the verb is the intended target:  {jagh chuH SuvwI'} ("The warrior spears the enemy", or "The warrior throws [a spear] at the enemy"). One way to indicate that the target is actually hit is to add the suffix {-chu'} (perfectly) to the verb:  {jagh chuHchu' SuvwI'}  ("The warrior spears the enemy perfectly, The warrior hits the enemy [with a thrown spear])" .

 (KGT 64f.):  There is a single verb, {wob}, that is used to describe the full range of activities involved in putting the spear properly into the spear-throwing aid and using the aid to hurl the spear:  {tlhevjaQ wob} ("He/she puts the {tlhevjaQ} into the {chetvI'} and hurls the spear").  In speaking of this type of spear and spear-throwing technique, it is still proper to use the verb {chuH} when talking about throwing the spear at a target.

(KGT 149):  The literal meaning of {chuH} is "throw a spear at, hurl a spear at". The object of {chuH} is usually the intended target, the person or thing at which the spear is thrown. In the slang sense, the object of the verb is the person who wants clarification, as in {HIchuH!} ("Clarify for me! Spell it out for me!") or {yaS chuH} ("He/she clarifies [it] for the officer").  The verb {QIj} (explain) is a standard term somewhat close to this in meaning, though the object of {QIj} is that which is explained, while the person to whom the explanation is given is the indirect object:  {yaSvaD nab QIj} ("He/she explains the plan to the officer").

SEE ALSO:
qIp		qIp  hit (with hand, fist, implement) (v)
vo' 		propel (v)
mup 		impact, strike (v)
'urgh 		jab, poke (v)

chonnaQ 	hunting spear (n)
naQjej 		spear (n)
QIn 		spearhead (n)
tIH 		shaft (of spear) (n)
chetvI' 		spear-throwing device (n)
tlhevjaQ 	spear used with chetvI'  (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey