[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: vogh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 24 07:21:49 PST 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, February 24, 2023

Klingon word: 	vogh
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	somewhere

vogh vISuch vIneH
I want to visit someplace. (CK)

vogh tIghla' tu'lu'
[untranslated] (qep’a’ 2017)

Does anyone know of more recent examples?

GRAMMAR NOTES:
(TKD 27):  It is worth noting at this point that the concepts expressed by the English adverbs here, there, and everywhere are expressed by nouns in Klingon: {naDev} hereabouts, {pa'} thereabouts, {Dat} everywhere.  These words may perhaps be translated more literally as "area around here," "area over there," and "all places," respectively.  Unlike other nouns, these three words are never followed by the locative suffix [i.e. {-Daq}].

 (SuStel [date?]):  Since TKD is very clear that there are three nouns which do this, and here they are, {vogh} must take {-Daq}.  It does seem like one of these nouns, but so far we have no way to say that it is.

(Qov, from qep'a' 2015 [8/05/2015]):  I asked [Okrand] if {vogh} could be used for a static locative, or was it only {pa’}, {naDev} and {Da}t that did not take {-Daq}.  He said that he did not think he had intended the list in TKD to be exclusive, and that {vogh} could probably be a locative all by itself, but that he would have to re-read it to be sure.

 (qurgh [date?]:  I asked Marc about this [at qep’a’ 2017] and he confirmed it.