[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: wIlHay

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 00:50:59 PST 2023

On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 8:12 PM Lieven L. Litaer via tlhIngan-Hol <
tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org> wrote:

> Am 21.02.2023 um 16:23 schrieb Steven Boozer via tlhIngan-Hol:
> > Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, February 21, 2023
> >
> > Klingon word:         wIlHay
> > Part of speech:       noun
> > Definition:   hinge (of a door); spine (of a book)
> > Source:       qepHom 2021
> >
> > AFAIK never used in a sentence.
> >
> > PUN:
> > If there is one, I don't see it.  {wIl} spike [construction] + {Hay}
> area beyond ??
>
> Well, {Hay} is the pronunciation of {H}, and it's probably a pure
> coincidence, but there exists a spine surgeon in Los Angeles named
> "William H. Dillin"... and as Okrand was born in L.A., maybe he knows
> that person?
>
> Nah... that's too far fetched I guess. :-D

My guess is that it's a reference to the playwright and novelist William
Inge (whose name is pronounced like "hinge", but without the "H", and who
won the best screenplay at the 1961 Oscars). Okrand's in-jokes are often
references to the theatre and film industries. That seems much more likely
than some random spinal surgeon in LA.

--
De'vID