[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: QaD

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri Feb 17 14:16:52 PST 2023

> So tell me, who is this "fearless warrior" who "climbs out of the blood onto dry land"

> and why is he in the river in the first place?  And why should modern Klingons wish to follow it?

The fearless warrior was none other than Kahless, so certainly an example worthy of emulation :)

He had followed a cave within the volcano Kri'stak (QIStaq), into the realm of the dead, thrown himself into a chasm and ended up in a blood-colored river, where he boards the Barge of the Dead to save his family from Gre'thor.

That being said, I think that the example noted in KGT does point more towards the river Skral, or perhaps a more general, metaphorical river of blood; a river colored by the literal blood of one's enemies, and/or the figurative blood of great deeds.

For one thing, the blood-red river Skral goes further back in Star Trek canon (1995, as opposed to 1999). So, although both came after the first mention of "the river of blood" (in 1989), the river Skral was at least mentioned early enough to influence KGT and TKW, whereas the Barge of the Dead only showed up a few years later.

For another, while the idea that the Barge of the Dead travels on a river of blood was established in VOY: The Barge of the Dead, it is only depicted as being the way to Gre'thor; when Miral is released to Sto-vo-kor, she vanishes from the Barge of the Dead. As such, traveling this river of blood is not particularly desirable.

In paq'batlh, it seems that the river of blood goes to both Gre'thor and Sto-vo-kor, so it is a river that every Klingon will travel, whether honorable or not.

//loghaD