[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nom

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 15 07:19:55 PST 2023

Klingon word: 	nom
Part of speech: 	adv
Definition: 	fast, quickly

nom
Move fast! Move quickly! TKD

DaHjaj nom Soppu'
Today they ate quickly. TKD

nom yISop
Eat them quickly! CK

nom QaH yIqem
Get help quickly! CK

nom yIghoSqu'
Maximum speed. ST5

tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
Hit them hard and hit them fast. TKW

nom yer mechmeH Quj
["a game for fast trading of property" (untranslated)] MKE

nom leng Hun nom lengqu' lut
Stories travel faster than a *khrun* (PB)

tugh Dor qoSlIj.  nom yIlop!
(MO's untranslated FaceBook post to Lieven, 3/29/12)

(charghwI’, 11/06/2021):  The absence of an adjective/stative verb for “be fast” or “be slow”. The awkward work-arounds for this are absurd, given the scope of the rest of the vocabulary, and given how long Klingons have been exposed to alien languages, surely they would have come up with words for this.

(qepHom 2012 [Okrand via Lieven 11/22/2012] on how to say "a fast ship"):  Maltz was unaware of an adjective meaning fast (or slow for that matter). He said in Klingon you wouldn't say that something is fast - you'd say it moves fast. So instead of You have a fast ship, you could say {nom leng DujlIj} "Your ship travels fast" or {nom leng Duj Daghajbogh} "The ship that you have travels fast".  If 'your fast ship' is supposed to be the subject or object of a sentence, you say something like {tInqu' nom lengbogh DujlIj} "Your ship that travels fast is very big" (or, less literally, "Your fast ship is very big") or {nom lengbogh DujlIj vIlegh} "I see your ship that travels fast" (or "I see your fast ship").

qul DIr yISop!
Eat the fire skin!
["This phrase means 'Hurry up! Move quickly!'" (KGT 110)]

"Now," Lursa said. "{nom!}"  (KCD novel p.156)

SEE ALSO:
tugh 		soon (adv)
pay' 		suddenly (adv)
SIbI' 		immediately (adv)
QIt 		slowly (adv)

moD 		hurry (v)
chung 		accelerate (v)

Do 		velocity, speed (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey