[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: puqbe'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 6 08:13:53 PST 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, February 06, 2023

Klingon word: 	puqbe'
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	daughter

Qoy qeylIS puqloD.  Qoy puqbe'pu'.
Hear! Sons of Kahless. Hear! Daughters too. (Anthem)

Qo'noS tlhInganpu':  qeylIS puqloDpu' puqbe'pu' je.
Klingons of Kronos: sons and daughters of Kahless. ('u'-MTK)

(KGT 197):  It is always proper to call somebody by his or her name alone... During formal occasions, it is also not uncommon to refer to someone by his or her father's name, such as {mogh puqloD} (son of Mogh) or a combination of given name plus father's name, such as {HuS 'atrom puqbe'} (Huss, daughter of A'trom).

(KGT 198f):  ... a parent may address a son as {puqloDoy} and a daughter as {puqbe'oy}.  As with the terms for parents, the {-oy} form is seldom used past the child's Age of Ascension.

TREK NOTES:
  Kortar, the ferryman on the mythical Barge of the Dead, addressed Torres as "B'Elanna, daughter of Miral" in her vision. (VOY "Barge of the Dead).  Miral was her Klingon mother.  (Perhaps supernatural Klingons don't recognize human fathers.  OTOH her father did abandon his wife and daughter IIRC, so B'Ellana may well have had unconscious issues with him.)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey