[tlhIngan Hol] Bullets in Klingon

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 08:02:59 PST 2023

As others have said, EVERY verb with {-bogh} forms its own complete sentence encapsulated within a larger sentence. The elephant in the room is the Head Noun. That’s the word that is functioning as a noun in both the encapsulated Relative Clause and in the outer complete sentence (with its own separate verb).

You’ll only confuse yourself if you think about pre-positional vs. post-positional because it comes before the Head Noun if the Head Noun is the Subject of the Relative Clause or after the Head Noun if the Head Noun is the Object of the Relative Clause, and the entire Relative Clause comes before or after the verb in the outer complete sentence, depending on whether or not the Head Noun is Subject or Object of THAT verb.

Relative Clauses may offer you a description, but that doesn’t mean they are acting as Adjectives. They most commonly are used to identify a specific noun. At one time in the ancient past on this list, there were arguments about whether or not they also could be used as parenthetical comments on the Head Noun because at that time, our limited canon examples were all of the identifying type, like, “The woman who is standing next to you is named Tyler.” Which woman? There are ten women in the room. I’m talking about the one standing next to you.

We weren’t sure whether or not you could also use them for things like, “Our leader, who is fond of knitting, commands us to attend the meeting.” We already know who the leader is. I’m just telling you something about her that has nothing to do with the rest of the sentence.

I’m sure our canon experts will be happy to clarify whether or not we’ve been given license to use Relative Clauses for parenthetical statements about the Head Noun.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)