[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: laj

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 1 08:58:54 PST 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, February 01, 2023

Klingon word: 	laj
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	accept

to'baj 'uS lughoDlu'bogh tIlaj
Accept these stuffed tobbaj legs! (PK)

beq may' ta vIlajpu'
I have accepted the crew's record of battle. (KGT)

ghopDu'wIjDaq yInmeyraj vIlaj
I accept your lives into my hands. (KGT)

ghu' Dachupbogh vIlaj
I will accept your proposal (PB)

SoHvaD quvwI' qem Hegh
   'e' wIvDI' Hegh pop Hevchugh quvwI'
   ‘ej 'e' DaqaSmoHchugh jIlaj
The honorable will be rewarded
   After death chooses to bring them to you
   If you make it so, I accept. (PB)

jIlajneS.  ghIj qet jaghmeyjaj
I accept. May your enemies run with fear." (TKW p.65; TNG "Sins of the Father")
[This is the traditional (no' Hol?) acceptance upon being asked to serve as someone's {cha'DIch}.]

TREK NOTES:
jIlajneS
I'm honored to accept! (TNG "A Matter of Honor"; also Worf to Riker upon being asked to join the latter’s team in war games [TNG “Peak Performance”])

"I have accepted discommendation." [Worf, TNG "Reunion" - is this the Klingon idiom?]

SEE:
laj  		acceptance (n)
 - parmaq choH pagh teHqu', choH tu'DI' lajDaj.
   Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds (Sonnet 116)
   ["Very true[ly] nothing changes love when its acceptance finds change."]

lajQo'  		reject (v)
  - "When taking a table's order, the {jabwI'} neither writes anything down nor enters data into a computer. It is considered the duty of the {jabwI'} to remember (qaw) the choices and to bring the correct food, and servers tend to be quite skilled at this. On the rare occasion when the {jabwI'} has remembered incorrectly (qawHa'), the patron may reject (lajQo') the dish. If the patron rejects a dish that the server believes has been properly remembered, however, the misunderstanding could develop into minor combat. For most of the other diners in the restaurant, this is regarded as an exhilarating diversion." (KGT 101f.)

SEE ALSO:
Hev 		receive (v)
ma' 		accommodate (v)
ghIb 		consent (v)
HeQ 		comply (v)
Qochbe' 	agree (v)
chaw' 		permit (v)

tlhap 		take (v)
nge' 		take away (v)
yaH 		be taken away (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey