[tlhIngan Hol] using whistles

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Sun Dec 17 06:19:49 PST 2023

You're right indeed that {chu'} can mean both "play an instrument" and
"activate a device".

So it can probably be used to play any whistle, no matter how it's
activated. The questions I quote blow were more focussing on the verb
{SuS} which is used to play a wind instrument.

Since {SuS} means "blow into" in this context, it surely cannot be used
for a tachnically activated "whistle/horn".

Since {chu'} has two meanings, I think your question is redundant, as
the double meaning covers both answers. But maybe I misunderstand.

Lieven.

Am 17.12.2023 um 12:30 schrieb De'vID via tlhIngan-Hol:

> On Fri, Dec 15, 2023 at 7:33 AM Lieven L. Litaer via tlhIngan-Hol
> <tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org <mailto:tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org>> wrote:
>
>     - These ship- or factory-type whistles cannot be "played" by a person.
>     They're powered by some sort of energy (steam, electricity, whatever).
>

> The verb for playing an instrument is {chu'}...
>
>     - The verb to activate a wall-mounted device is {chu'} (not {SuS}).
>

> ... but the verb for activating a device is also {chu'}.
>
> So is the verb to use for playing a ship's whistle using the switch or
> whatever that activates it, which is mounted on a panel or wall or
> whatever, {chu'} or not?
>
> --
> De'vID

Lieven L. Litaer