[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: SIj

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Dec 8 07:20:45 PST 2023

Klingon word: SIj
Part of speech: verb
Definition: slit, be insightful (slang), be clever (slang)
Source: TKD

(KGT 164):  This verb literally means "slash, slit (with a blade)".  When used in its slang sense, it does not take an object:  {bISIj} ("You are insightful, you have a keen mind"; literally, "You slash").  Nonslang counterparts are {val} (be clever, smart) and {'ong} (be cunning, sly).

SEE:
SIj  		slit,  slash (with a blade) (v)

qaStaHvIS wa' ram loS SaD Hugh SIjlaH qetbogh loD
4,000 throats may be cut in one night by a running man.
(TKD p. 171 & TKW p. 127)

SEE ALSO:
pe' 		cut (v)
quH 		slice, carve (v)
DuQ 		stab (v)
chIp 		cut, trim (v)
poDmoH 	clip (v)

ghom’oH 	slot, slit (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey