[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tuqnIgh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 24 07:13:20 PDT 2023

Klingon word: tuqnIgh
Part of speech: noun
Definition: a member of a house
Source: HQ (9:3 p8)

(HQ 9.3:8):  {tuqnIgh} is used to refer to any member of a house. Thus, {qeng tuqnIgh} is a member of the House of Kang, and {tuqnIghwI'} is a member of my house.

(De’vID, 5/27/2022 in re PB2):  {tuqnIgh} refers to a member of a Klingon House (a {tuq}). We've seen examples of Klingons joining the House of some who was not related by blood (e.g., Worf joining the House of Martok).

PUN: 	1)  "kin" backwards + {gh} for k?
	2) "'Nigh' already means near in (archaic) English." (Qov)

SEE:
qorDu'  		family (n)
pal’ar  		kin (n) (PB2)
chuD 		people, kin, member of the same group or
		 tribe or clan (n)

(De’vID < MO, 5/26/2022):  I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the word kin in the English translations is, except for once, not used for family in general or family as a unit, but rather to refer to one person (Kahless’s brother or father) or sometimes two (brother and father) or maybe more — that is, it’s equivalent to kinsperson (if that’s a good English word) or kinspersons. When kin is referring to family in general or the family as a unit (not a collection of individuals), {qorDu’} is definitely correct. But {qorDu’} doesn’t seem right when referring to one or a number of family members. A better word for that is {pal’ar}.

(De’vID 5/27/2022):  {pal'ar} refers to a family member (a member of one's {qorDu'}). It refers to people related by blood (it's used in the *paq'batlh* to refer to Kahless' brother and father), and possibly also by marriage (though there's no usage to confirm the latter).

(De’vID, 5/27/2022):  {chuD} is more general and refers to a broader group. It's used in Star Trek Into Darkness, where it was used by Uhura, in speaking to a Klingon leader, to refer to the people who are with him. I don't think they were necessarily his blood relatives, though I suppose they might've been members of the same House. Uhura presumably doesn't know their exact relationship and might've been taking a guess or being deferential or something.”

(Felix, 5/27/2022):  I expect {pal'ar} suggests a much closer family relationship. The word {chuD} was made up to translate the sentence "You and your people are in danger." in Star Trek Into Darkness (presumably with the restriction of having to match the lip movements used before the script change). Here, Uhura is addressing a Klingon she has just met, so "your people" is probably referring to Klingons in general, or at least Klingons that he feels some duty to protect.

SEE ALSO:
'e'nal 		someone who married into the family (n)
qaytu’ 		parent (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey