[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ru'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Aug 14 09:12:28 PDT 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, August 13, 2023

Klingon word: ru'
Part of speech: verb
Definition: be temporary

AFAIK not used in a sentence.

(KGT 42):  … in an archaic form of Klingon, {ru'} meant something like ready to collapse or die. It was used to describe weakened prey or a weakened enemy, but it was also applied to food (particularly fresh organs) meant to be eaten while still alive or just recently so, the implication being that if it were not eaten quickly, it would soon be no good. Upper-class Klingons still use the word in this latter sense, referring, for example to {qagh ru'} ("serpent worms about to die"). The modern meaning of {ru'}, derived from the earlier senses, is "be temporary". Except in upper-class settings, {qagh ru'} would be interpreted as "temporary serpent worms", which would not make much sense at all. … Among the lower classes — except for those working as servants for the higher classes — words like … {ru'} are used only in their modern senses.

SEE:
ru'Ha'  		be permanent (v) KGT
boq ru' 		coalition (n) ["temporary alliance" (HQ 4.4)]
mu'mey ru' 	temporary words [i.e. made-up words]

SEE ALSO:
lIw 		substitute, stand-in, temporary surrogate (n)
taH 		continue, go on, endure (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey