[tlhIngan Hol] tlhIngan-Hol Digest, Vol 87, Issue 9

James Landau savegraduation at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 12 18:06:20 PDT 2023

>Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 13:05:32 +0200
>From: "De'vID" <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com>
>To: tlhingan-hol at kli.org
>Cc: "tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org" <tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org>, James
 >   Landau <savegraduation at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: [tlhIngan Hol] qep'a' wejmaHDIch mu' chu'
>
>On Wed, Aug 9, 2023 at 9:13?AM James Landau via tlhIngan-Hol <
>tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org> wrote:
>
>> Good to see we finally have the major countries of Earth covered. I see
>> the word for Ethiopia has been put up at the wiki, but I'd like to learn
>> the names of the other countries we had on our chabal tetlh (Indonesia,
>> Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Palestine, Taiwan).
>>

>{'InDoneSya'}, {'I'ran}, {paqIStan}, and {vIlaStIn} are all there. Taiwan
>is missing, though.

Oh, OK. I assume we finally got our word for Mexico?

>> Oh yes, and *'IQDoy* (clich?, trope, stereotype).>>
>
>I think you've mixed up two things. {'IQDoy'} is "parody, caricature"
>("sad" + "tired" = "satire")
>
>{HeqqIv} is "clich?, trope, stereotype" ("hackneyed" {Heq} + {qIv} "knee")

Good ones! As you see, I noticed that error after I posted the message.

Meanwhile, I've figured out several more puns:

ghuD (fellow-X, be in common, be co-X): Backwards, this sounds like "drug/droog" -- the Russian (and Nadsat) word for friend.

moqlam (feldspar): Craig Feldspar was a character on Malcolm in the Middle. (Another twenty-first century TV reference!)

naq (be iridescent): Nacre.

qaytap (bill, act): Backwards, this is paty aq - sounds like "PATRIOT Act". Do all of you think this is it?

qIrbI' (hygiene): Backwards: *'Ib rIq*. Or, "break-through the bathtub!"

Qajnav (diaper): This is the pun that had me laughing out loud the most. I'm not going to spoil it for you right away, so just say it backwards, and then translate it into English, using the "ends" definition of *van*.

renyarDaq (ESP): Backwards, *renyar* becomes *rayner*. Perhaps a blend of J. B. "Rhine" and "Zener" cards?

romton (bracket, corbel): "Corbel" comes from a Latin word for raven, and backwards, *romton* is *not mor* = nevermore. Same basic idea as *notqa'*!

ro'qa' (tonsil): This is the most sneakily clever of the puns I've cracked so far. *ro'qa'* sounds like Almond "Roca", of course . . . remember that in German, "almond" and "tonsil" are both
"Mandel".

Sawqe' (nugget, chunk, clump): Perhaps a reference to a clump of Mary Kay (Ash) cream or mascara?