[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: SoS

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 10 07:35:07 PDT 2023

Klingon word: SoS
Part of speech: noun
Definition: mother

Hab SoSlI' Quch
Your mother has a smooth forehead!! (PK; the most insulting curse of all!)

SoSwI' vavwI' je quvmoHjaj paqvam
[Okrand's untranslated dedication] (KGT)

(KGT 198f):  Within the family, a child usually addresses his or her mother as {SoS} (Mother) and father as {vav} (Father), though it is not uncommon for younger children to use the words {SoSoy} (Mommy) and {vavoy} (Daddy). These are the regular words for mother and father followed by the suffix {-oy}, which indicates endearment. Most older children drop the -oy around the time of their Age of Ascension, though some continue to use it even after that, especially when addressing the parent of the opposite sex... Though almost always heard as terms of direct address (as in {Sosoy jIghung} ["Mommy, I'm hungry"]), kinship terms with the suffix {-oy} are occasionally used as subjects or objects of sentences, particularly in the speech of younger children. For example, a proud child may say, {SuvwI' ghaH vavoy'e'} ("My daddy is a warrior").

TREK NOTES:
  Worf performed the R'uustai with young Jeremy Aster after Aster's mother died under Worf's command in 2366. The ruStay (bonding ritual) concludes with a Klingon intonation honoring the participants' mothers: *SoS jIH batlh SoH*, Paramount-Hol for "Mother, I honor you". (TNG "The Bonding")

SEE:
So’chIm  	*soh-chim* (surrogate mother, godmother)
		 (n) (spelling from qep’a’ 2020)
i.e.  a woman who raises a child if the natural parents are killed. To be asked to become one is a great honor. Worf asked Deanna Troy to be Alexander's *soh-chIm* in the event that anything happened to him. (TNG "Parallels")

SoS taj  		mother's knife (n) KCD (2 words, 2019)
"A wickedly shaped weapon, the wounds inflicted by the SoS taj are particularly painful and deadly." (KCD; K'Tar used one)

SoSnI'  		grandmother (n)

SEE ALSO:
qaytu’ 		parent (n)

Qorgh 		take care of, care for (v)
Although AFAIK our only two examples refer to weapons, I wonder if it could also work for raising or looking after children.  Cf.

'etlh QorghHa'lu'chugh ragh 'etlh nIvqu' 'ej jejHa'choH
Even the best blade will rust and grow dull unless it is cared for. (TKW)

nuHmeyraj tIQorgh | watlh 'Iwraj 'e' lu'aghmo' nuHmey jej
[Kahless spoke to them] about caring for their weapons, for they represent the purity of their blood. (PB)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey