[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nugh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 3 07:34:36 PDT 2023

Klingon word: nugh
Part of speech: noun
Definition: society; group of people with shared culture

nughraj Dun lurDechmeyraj Dun je DIvuvta' 'e' lutul HaDwI'pu' 'ej vItul jIH.
The editors and I hope to have respected your rich culture and tradition (Vincent Van Gerven Oei's speech at qepHom 10)

(HQ 4.4):  Note that {nugh} "society" has a much broader meaning: a group of people with a shared culture. Accordingly, {tlhIngan nugh} would mean Klingon society as distinguished from, say, Romulan society, but {tlhIngan yej'an" would probably be The Klingon Society, a group dedicated to the study of Klingons.

TREK NOTES:
  "This is not a primitive society making progress towards mechanisation" (Spock, "Errand of Mercy")

  "Klingon culture is not in your taste?" (Troi to Pulaski, TNG "The Icarus Factor")

SEE:
nughQeD  	sociology (n)

SEE ALSO:
tIgh 		custom (n)
tayqeq 		civilization (n)
yej'an 		(academic) society (n)
tlham 		order, structure [societal] (n) (slang)
meHghem 	arts, the arts, culture (n)

Hach 		be developed (e.g. a civilization) (v)
'Itlh 		be advanced, highly developed (v)
Hoy 		be refined, fancy, sophisticated (v)
lutlh 		be primitive (v)

“Society doesn’t have values. People have values.” (Milton Friedman)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey