[tlhIngan Hol] Three questions about the *paq'batlh*

luis.chaparro at web.de luis.chaparro at web.de
Wed Aug 2 10:35:35 PDT 2023

Thank you again, charghwI', De'vID and SuStel for your clarifications! I begin to understand *ghoS* better.

De'vID:

>> 3. De'vID says that when the prefix *can* indicate an object, and we have a noun with *-Daq*, this noun is (usually) the object unless there's another noun or a pronoun. Couldn't these both examples have the following meanings too?:
>> *DujDaq ghoStaH* - It is approaching on the ship.
>> *pa'Daq yIjaH* - Go in the room!

(...)

> Of course, Dr. Okrand always qualifies his statements with "generally", "normally", and so on to leave some wiggle room. I imagine that it's possible for those sentences to have the meanings you wrote above, if there is some very strong established context, but let's say that the sentences in TKD almost always have the meanings given in TKD. Those are the normal interpretations of those sentences.

So a way of forcing the meaning *on the ship* and *in the room* could be adding a pronoun or a noun?:

*DujDaq 'oH ghoStaH* - It is approaching it on the ship.
*pa'Daq vogh yIjaH* - Go somewhere in the room!

charghwI':

> I’m not sure you ever got an answer to question 1. Just in case you didn’t…

> The definitions we’ve been given tell us that {neH} used as an adverb and not as the verb for “want”, follows what it modifies, and it can follow a noun or a verb. It describes exclusivity for the noun, but it trivializes the verb. You didn’t include the English translation of

SuStel has also answered this question, but thank you for taking the time to reply too. The English text says:

One can only return from this Underworld,
If Fek’lhr does not notice one
Entering or leaving Gre’thor.