[tlhIngan Hol] Three questions about the *paq'batlh*

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Aug 2 06:24:32 PDT 2023

On 8/1/2023 4:44 PM, luis.chaparro--- via tlhIngan-Hol wrote:
> 1. *vengDaq taw vIghoS* would be however (without further context)
> ambiguous, right? It could mean: *I go along the road toward the city*
> or *I go along the road in the city*.

This is not ambiguous in Klingon. *-Daq* simply has a larger scope of
meaning than the various English prepositions that it corresponds to.
This is true of any use of the locative. *yuQDaq jIHtaH.* This could
mean I am /on/ the planet, and this is the translation one would
commonly expect, but it could also mean I am /in/ the planet or /by/ the
planet. In fact, it means all of those at once; it means /I am
locative-planet./

> 4. How can I distinguish between *I go along the road* and *I approach toward the road*? Following SuStel's explanation, and supposing I've understood it right, I would say *taw vIghoS* could only mean *I go along the road*, *tawDaq vIghoS* would have two meanings: *I go along the road* with a redundant *-Daq* or *I go along (something) toward the road* with an elided pronoun. But with De'vID's explanation I'm not sure any more.

Using *ghoS?* It will always be ambiguous without further context. *taw
vIghoS* can mean /I go along the road, /but it could also mean /I go to
the road,/ where the road is simply the name of the destination,
outlining your course to the road. It's not about whether or not you use
*-Daq.* Instead of the course being the road's length, the course is
that course which leads to the road.