[tlhIngan Hol] Three questions about the *paq'batlh*

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 06:48:00 PDT 2023

I’d just like to speak up for the commonness of ambiguity in language, be it English, Klingon, or whatever. “Lines of three” is itself, in English, ambiguous. The common interpretation might be an unmentioned number of lines, each consisting of three participants, but it can very well mean three lines of an unmentioned number of participants, particularly in the context of ancient, formal, written speech, which is pretty much what we’re dealing with here in the Klingon canon, so the English translations might tend to lean toward the stilted, formal, grandiose, barely modern English.

“And the army formed lines of three to receive uniforms: A line of The Tall. A line of The Medium. A line of The Short.”

We tend to question whether these borderline poetry, revealed ancient Klingon writings mean exactly what the English means, and we tend to forget that we might not accurately understand what the English means.

I genuinely wish we had more Klingon canon representing common, modern speech instead of a lot of things that can get away with “poetry doesn’t always follow the rules” or “ancient dialect” or other dodges from the responsibility of writing well-formed Klingon sentences as guidance for communicating in the language. But, hey.

First World Problems.

We have to speak Klingon based on ancient canon… like a neanderthal. [brush, brush, brush… sigh… support elbow with other hand… brush, brush, brush]

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)