[tlhIngan Hol] wishlist for TKD 3ed

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 14:19:50 PDT 2023

Are you kidding?

I have a couple TKDs written in languages I don’t speak.

I have The Original one (2nd Edition, but it was the first one I bought) that has all my annotations in it. What it DOESN’T have is a front cover, since that fell off decades ago. I have one or two in relatively pristine condition.

If another edition comes out, I’m buying at least 2, and I’m not all that active anymore. I need one to use and write annotations in, and one to keep.

There comes a point when the Klingon language isn’t just an interest or something you do. It’s part of your identity. TKD is nice to have around to use it, but as one whose identity is tangled up in having a certain level of skill with the language, it is essential to HAVE it.

Consider that one of the strong features of the Star Trek Universe is that it had Spock, who was the first mainstream autistic character in fiction since Sherlock Holmes. You don’t have to be “on the spectrum” of autism to have an interest in Star Trek, but believe me, it helps.

If you are on the spectrum, certain objects become essential to have because it fits your identity and it calms you to have it. It’s special, since it belongs to a fictitious reality that you identify with; a place that you go when here becomes less than interesting, which, if you are on the spectrum, happens a lot.

Spock finds things fascinating. Sherlock goes nuts if he gets bored.

And I feel better knowing that I have a pristine TKD, even if I never open it.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)