[tlhIngan Hol] wishlist for TKD 3ed

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 13:08:18 PDT 2023

On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 12:47 AM James Landau via tlhIngan-Hol <
tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org> wrote:

> While I was browsing the parody website amirite.com, I was searching for
> parodies of the Human League's "Don't You Want Me". I found a filkish song
> titled "Give Me Oomox, Human". I was confused, since I had never watched
> Star Trek, and thought, "Is this a Klingon thing"? I wikipediaed "oomox"
> and discovered that oo-mox, properly spelt with a hyphen, was a /Ferengi/
> thing.
>
> Klingon doesn't have a word for it, of course -- yet. I suppose they would
> Klingonize this as something like *'u'matlh* ooor *'u'motlh*. So, although
> it's a Ferengi thing and not a Klingon thing, should Klingon have a word
> for oo-mox?

No.

If it *had* been a Klingon word that the show writers had made up, and
which didn't have an official "Okrandian" spelling yet, then it would be
exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. Or if, for example, there was an
episode where a Klingon getting oomox or saying the word "oomox" was an
important plot point that shows that at least some Klingons are familiar
with the concept and that it would be reasonable for a Klingon to discuss
it in Klingon. We're compiling an updated word list for a Klingon
dictionary, not a Star Trek dictionary.

> Also, we were without *borgh* for a long time, but we finally got it. I
> don't know much about the Star Trek world that I haven't learned from
> studying tlhIngan Hol. I guess the Trekkies here could provide a long list
> of animals, plants, foods, religious concepts, practices, monetary units,
> sports and games, etc. associated with Klingons and other Star Trek peoples.

Well, so far I've received nothing. Maybe Dr. Okrand has been very thorough
thus far and has revealed terms for every Klingon concept discussed in the
shows? If this is true, it'd also be nice if someone who's checked this can
confirm it.

> Isn't there a list of non-canon Klingon terms at the website, too?

I don't know what you mean by this. Which website, the KLI one?

--
De'vID