[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: paghlogh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 26 07:16:12 PDT 2023

Klingon word: paghlogh
Part of speech: adv
Definition: zero times, never (emphatic)
Source:

 (KGT 178):  When {-logh} is attached to {pagh} (zero), the resulting form, {paghlogh} (zero times) is used as an emphatic alternate for {not} (never), as in {paghlogh jegh tlhIngan SuvwI'} ("a Klingon warrior surrenders zero times") ... compare {not jegh tlhIngan SuvwI'} ("a Klingon warrior never surrenders").

(~mark):  I used {paghlogh} before it was cool, years before KGT came out, because it was the Right Thing.  It didn't seem even marked to me; I remember Krankor thought it was neat because it said what I wanted but was totally un-English. It was in translating the Four Questions [on Passover], of which one is "on other nights, we don't dip [food into liquid] even once; tonight: twice."  I expressed the not even once as {paghlogh}: "no times".  Worked beautifully.  There "was no rule against it," and it conformed to the rules: {pagh} is given as a number, and {-logh} can be attached to numbers ... I wouldn't have thought it marked before Okrand said it was.

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey