[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: pol

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Apr 25 08:19:56 PDT 2023

Klingon word: pol
Part of speech: verb
Definition: keep, save

nuqDaq yuch Dapol
Where do you keep the chocolate? (TKD)

pollaH pagh polHa'laH
can either keep it or discard it (KGT)
(KGT 116f.):  This is a way to say "The matter is unimportant" or "It does not make any difference". The phrase is usually used in response to someone who expresses a concern about something, and the it in the translation refers to the matter under discussion. It is sometimes phrased in terms of the speaker, as in {vIpollaH pagh vIpolHa'laH} ("I can either keep it or I can discard it"), or the listener, as in {DapollaH pagh DapolHa'laH} ("You can either keep it or you can discard it").

Soj polmeH pa'
food storage [locker/compartment] (KBoP)

polmeH jav QujwI' lIwmey
6 collectible tokens (MKE)

chaw'vam yIpol 'ej SIbI'Ha' yIlo' pagh 'oH yImech
This card may be kept until needed or traded. (MKE)

(qepHom 2021 Q & A ):
MO: 	Make use of the verb {ngeq} "store, hoard, cache". When referring to
	memorizing something or knowing something by heart, the usual
	expression is along the lines of
                    ghuQ ngeqpu' qawwIj
	     "I've memorized the poem"
	(literally "my memory has stored the poem").
Q:      	Can this verb be used to store food, or different things? We do have the
	term for "food storage" {Soj polmeH pa'}.
MO: 	There's a subtle difference between {ngeq} and {pol}. The act of moving or
	putting things somewhere to store them is {ngeq}; just keeping them there
 	is pol.  So if I see you putting the groceries into the food storage room, I
	can say {Soj Dangeq}. If I visit your house and snoop around and see food
 	already in the storage room, I might make an observation and say {Soj
	Dapol}.  In many cases, of course, the distinction is minor or irrelevant, so
	either word could be used. For memorizing, {ngeq} is the word in the idiom
	even though, once the poem or whatever is memorized, {pol} might make
	more sense. Maltz didn't know why.
Q:     	Can this verb be used in the computer meaning sense?  To "save"/"store"
	a file on a disk?
MO: 	Yes.  Both words can.

SEE:
polHa'  		discard (v)

SEE ALSO:
ngeq 		store, hoard, cache (v)
leH 		maintain (v)
ngaS		contain (v)
choq 		preserve (v)
toD 		save, rescue (v)

woD 		throw away (v)
lon 		abandon (v)
choS 		desert (v)
vuj 		expel, eject (v)

DeSwar 	closet, cupboard, cabinet, fixed storage device (n)
nu’Qan 		alcove (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey