[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ngap

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 10 07:24:34 PDT 2023

ngap  		be consonant (v) (qep’a’ 2022)
ngapHa’  	be discordant, dissonant (v) (qep’a’ 2022)

(qep’a’ 2022):  “in the sense of musical consonance or sympathetic vibrations”

Sounds like #2 and #4 to me, although I admit that I've never heard "consonant" used this way myself.  Other technical sound- and music-related words include:

Ham 		be high (in pitch) (v) (qepHom 2018)
pun 		be low (in pitch) (v) (qepHom 2018)
  - (Lieven, qepHom 2018):  as in high [or low] voice … These pitch words can also be used in music to talk about high and low tones.

tlhen  		sound as, produce the sound of (v) (qep’a’ 2021)
wal  		vibrate, be in a state of vibration (v) (qep'a' 2017)

(KGT 75-76):  A third category of Klingon instrument is the {SuSDeq}, the windbag or bellows type. A {SuSDeq} has a flexible bag, usually made of animal skin, which is alternately filled with and emptied of air. This air passes over strips of various materials ({joQmey}), which vibrate as the air goes by, producing the musical tones.

QoQ  music (n)
  - (HQ 2.4):  meaning musical sound, whether or not a Klingon voice is participating in producing this sound

wab 		sound, noise (n) [use for a "note" or "tone?)

wab naQ 	vowel (n)
wab poD 	consonant (n)
  - (qep’a’ 2019):  This refers to sounds, not letters or glyphs

QIch 		speech [i.e. vocal sounds] (n)
  - (De'vID < MO, 2/17/2018):  An individual speech sound is {QIch wab} and speech sounds collectively are {QIch wabmey}. Pronunciation could be {QIch wab Ho’DoS}, more literally (but awkwardly) "speech-sound manner, speech-sound technique".

qol pronounce
  - (De'vID < MO, 1/16/2019):  the word for pronounce is {qol}. You’d use this, for example, to ask how to pronounce a word:  {chay’ mu’vam qollu’?} "How is this word pronounced?"  {qol} refers to articulation; it does not mean pronounce in the sense of proclaim, declare, decree.

--
Voragh