[tlhIngan Hol] Appositions with type 5 suffixes / I'm cold, I'm hot

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Fri Sep 16 20:41:35 PDT 2022

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 12:27 PM <luis.chaparro at web.de> wrote:

> 1. How could I say something like *To my friend Worf* in Klingon? I know
> there are no stated rules about appositions in Klingon, so what would be
> the best guess? I personally would add the suffix to both nouns: *jupwI'vaD
> wo'rIvvaD*, but I don't know if it works and if it would work in other
> cases (for example, if we wanted to say *In the city of Berlin*: twice
> *-Daq*?).

The example that I think is most compelling comes from Skybox SP1 *Qo'noS
wo'* *Empire of Kronos*:

*...juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq lengtaHvIS tlhInganpu'...*
*...During the...[travel] of the Klingon people from their homeworld of
Kronos into space...*
This apparent apposition puts the Type 5 noun suffix on only the final
noun. It's not a simple noun-noun construction; if it were, I would have
expected it to be in the other order.

-- ghunchu'wI'