[tlhIngan Hol] Appositions with type 5 suffixes / I'm cold, I'm hot

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 13 13:12:46 PDT 2022

Some thoughts, but no conclusions:

Instead of an apposition - which may be difficult for the Klingon reader to figure out - is to use a parenthetical comment instead:  eg. {jupwI'vaD (wo'rIv)}  "to my friend Worf".  We still don't know whether you need to tag each noun with {-vaD} but it would be understood.

Another pattern is that of ranks used with names, which can be considered either as either "tagging" (i.e. with the rank) or apposition (e.g. "Worf, the lieutenant").  We have examples of the Type 5 suffix {-'e'} placed on the second noun:

   yaS wa'DIch ghaH qImlaq la''e'
   Commander K'mlak is first officer. (KGT)

   ya ghaH qImlaq Sogh'e'
   Lieutenant K'mlak is the tactical officer. (KGT)

   Qugh la'vaD QIn pav.
   [Urgent message for Commander Kruge.] (ST3 DVD case)

This may hold true for the other Type 5 noun suffixes {-Daq}, [-mo'], {-vaD}, and {-vo'}.  Then again, it may not; {-'e'} is kind of a special case.

charghwI' suggested {*Berlin* vengDaq} for “in the city of Berlin” or "in Berlin city".  We have examples of this pattern translated both ways:  {qebeq veng} "Quebec City" [qepHom 2018] and {qamchIy veng ghoSlI' qotar} "Kotar heads for the city of Qam-Chee" [PB].  Although neither example has any suffixes, that's how I would do it until Maltz tells us otherwise.

{BERLIN veng} might be considered a noun + noun proper name and thus an exception from the Klingon Rules of Apposition, whatever they turn out to be.  25 years ago we saw something vaguely similar:

   qep'a' wejDIchDaq jatlhtaH tlhIngan Hol HaDwI'pu'.
   (untranslated; Okrand to SuStel on msn.onstage... 11/1996)

SuStel commented on the tlhIngan-hol List (12/18/1996):

  "Actually, in answering my letter about {qep'a' wejDIch}, Marc
    Okrand used the phrase {qep'a' wejDIchDaq}.  Now, it could be
    considered just a name, but it may also be possible that noun
    suffixes can go to the ordinal number."

We know that they do go on cardinal numbers:  e.g. {nImbuS wejDaq 'ejDo' 'entepray' ngeHlu'pu'} [ST5] and {Qo'noS wa'Daq baHta' ['entepray']} [ST6].

--Voragh