[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ngeq

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Mon Sep 12 22:23:51 PDT 2022

Am 07.09.2022 um 16:12 schrieb Steven Boozer:
> Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, September 07, 2022
>
> Klingon word: 	ngeq
> Part of speech: 	noun
> Definition: 	store, hoard, cache
> Source: 	qepHom 2021
>
> It's a verb according to http://klingon.wiki/En/NewWordsQepHom2021

Yes, indeed. The word page comfirms that and gives more information:
http://klingon.wiki/Word/Ngek

----------------
MO: Make use of the verb ngeq "store, hoard, cache." When referring to
memorizing something or knowing something by heart, the usual expression
is along the lines of

ghuQ ngeqpu' qawwIj
"I've memorized the poem" (literally "my memory has stored the poem").

Q: Can this verb be used to store food, or different things? We do have
the term for "food storage" Soj polmeH pa'.

MO: There's a subtle difference between ngeq and pol. The act of moving
or putting things somewhere to store them is ngeq; just keeping them
there is pol. So if I see you putting the groceries into the food
storage room, I can say Soj Dangeq. If I visit your house and snoop
around and see food already in the storage room, I might make an
observation and say Soj Dapol. In many cases, of course, the distinction
is minor or irrelevant, so either word could be used. For memorizing,
ngeq is the word in the idiom even though, once the poem or whatever is
memorized, pol might make more sense. Maltz didn't know why.

Q: Can this verb be used in the computer meaning sense? To "save" /
"store" a file on a disk?

MO: Yes. Both words can.

(qepHom 2021)
--