[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: toy'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 27 10:44:56 PDT 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, September 26, 2022

Klingon word: 	toy'
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	serve (a master)

wo' toy'taHvIS Hegh 'e' tul Hoch tlhIngan
To die while serving the Empire is the hope of every Klingon. TKW

tlhIngan Hol yejHaD Datoy'mo' pInaD
Because you serve the Klingon Language Institute, we commend you. FMC

TREK NOTES:
  “The honor is to serve.” (Worf t on being asked to join Riker's team in war games [TNG “Peak Performance”])

  Gowron dismissed Lursa and B'Etor with a curt "Women may not serve on the Council". (TNG "Redemption I")

SEE:
toy'wI'  			servant (n)
toy'wI''a'  		slave (n)
toy'wI''a' mechwI'  	slave trader (n) (DSC)

SEE ALSO:
jab 			serve food (v)
wech 			serve fermented food at its peak (v)

vum 			work, toil (v)
tlhab 			be free, independent (v)
ghatlh 			dominate (v)

QUOTATIONS:
  “Better to reign in Hell, then serve in Heav’n.” (Lucifer in Milton’s "Paradise Lost")

  "You're gonna have to serve somebody." (Bob Dylan)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last