[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: moHaq

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 26 07:33:47 PDT 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, September 25, 2022

Klingon word: 	moHaq
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	prefix

(KGT 172):  Klingon grammarians refer to the rule that governs the use of pronominal prefixes as the rule of {rom} (literally, accord). Grammarians of Federation Standard and many Earth languages call the phenomenon agreement. Thus, in the case of Klingon, the prefix used must "agree" with the noun to which it refers; if the object noun is plural, for example, the prefix must be one that is  used with plural objects. Agreeing is not a trait typically associated with Klingon nature, however, and apparently, at least under certain circumstances, this may extend to grammar as well.

(Okrand to charghwI', HQ 7.4 [Dec. 1998]):  The other tricky thing is some people say you can put any prefix on any verb. I suppose that you can, but just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

MNEMONIC:
Alphabetical order:  i.e. the /H/ in {moHaq} (prefix) comes first, then the /j/ from {mojaq} (suffix)  [from Qov?]

SEE ALSO:
mojaq 		suffix (n)
mojaQ 		suffix (n)
   - the difference between the two is unknown (e.g. one for verb suffixes, one for noun suffixes??)

wot		verb (n)
DIp		noun (n)
lIw mu’ 		pronoun (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last