[tlhIngan Hol] Appositions with type 5 suffixes / I'm cold, I'm hot

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 17:26:18 PDT 2022

My issue about all of these examples is that they could be an equivalent of a title instead of apposition. When we say Mr. Smith, we don’t call that apposition, even though Mr. and Smith are both referring to the same person, as we do in apposition, “my cousin, David”.

I’m not claiming that I know it’s not apposition. I’m just wondering.

Home-world might, in that culture, be a title, like the difference between “Miss” and “Mrs.” Some women are married. Some aren’t. Some worlds are homes for inhabitants. Others have no inhabitants, and so, are not home-worlds.

I simply don’t think it’s obvious what is the boundary between what we take as apposition or title. I’m guessing it’s like the difference between a noun-noun construction and a compound noun. The line is fuzzy and habitual use seems to be the mechanism for transition from one to the other.

I will confess that this is part of that philosophical overthinking branch of how alien languages can get. Is it a lot like we think of language, or does it stretch out farther than we are tempted to think it does? I don’t know.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)