[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: DuSaQ

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 14 07:37:48 PDT 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, September 11, 2022

Klingon word: 	DuSaQ
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	school

qum DuSaQmeyDaq 'Irghbe'meH ghotpu' nabmey ghojmoH...
In public schools, it teaches procedures so that people don't bully... (PCHC)

(HQ 4.4:11):  The most general word for school (a place for learning) is {DuSaQ}. A specialized school, perhaps translatable as academy, is {'ampaS}. An organization dedicated to scholastic pursuits or research is a {yejHaD} "institute" or "institution" or a {yej'an} "society". The distinction between {yejHaD} and {yej'an} is not clear, though the former is usually -- but not always -- used for larger organizations.

TREK TRIVIA:
  "You have no understanding about what it means to be Klingon. I will arrange for you to attend a Klingon school. There you will learn the lessons I have failed to teach you. […] A Klingon school will be a better environment for you. […] Klingon schools are designed to be difficult. The physical and mental hardships faced by the students are meant to build character and strength." (Worf to Alexander, TNG "New Ground")

SEE ALSO:
Qoyje' 		certificate, diploma (n)
ghoj 		learn (v)
HaD 		study (v)
Qul 		research (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last