[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'e'nal

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 14 07:31:10 PDT 2022

Klingon word: 	'e'nal
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	someone who married into the family
Source: 	HQ:v9n3p9

(HQ 9.3):  {'e'nal} ... does not specify the exact relationship

(MO's email to Lieven, 11/15/2010):  There was another question about whether {loDnI'nal} and {be'nI'nal} could be brother-in-law and sister-in-law. Maltz said he didn't think there were specific words for these concepts. He said to just describe the relationship: {loDnI' loDnal} and {be'nI' loDnal} for brother-in-law and {loDnI' be'nal} and {be'nI' be'nal} for sister-in-law. He said you could even say things like {be'nal loDnI' be'nal} "wife's brother's wife". But he preferred to call all these people {'e'nalpu'} "people who married into the family".

MO's audio for {nalqaD} "mate challenge" tells us that {nal} is NOT used as a word on its own, although it is also found in {be'nal} "wife" and {loDnal} "husband".  (KCD)

SEE:
be'nal 		wife (n)
loDnal 		husband (n)
’Ipnal  		spouse (n., gender-neutral term)
lIwnal  		concubine (n)

'IrneHnal 	uncle (mother's sister's husband) (n)
tennuSnal 	uncle (father's sister's husband) (n)
me'nal  		aunt (mother's brother's wife) (n)
'e'mam 	 	aunt (father's sister) (n)
'e'mamnal  	aunt (father's brother's wife) (n)

For more family relationships see also naHQun's chart:
http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/purpleelaphants/tlhInganHol/qorDuSor.html

.. and Lieven’s list & chart:
http://klingon.wiki/En/FamilyTerms

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last