[tlhIngan Hol] Appositions with type 5 suffixes / I'm cold, I'm hot

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Mon Sep 12 22:20:55 PDT 2022

Am 12.09.2022 um 20:07 schrieb Will Martin:
> 2. Great question. So far as I know {jIbIr} means “I’m cold,” synonymous
> to “I feel cold”, and if you want to say “My body is cold”, you’d say
> {bIr porghwIj.}

There is some canon for this, but the answer is still not so clear:

When a Federation citizen on Earth says "It's rather chilly in this
room," he or she may really mean "I am uncomfortably cold and want
somebody to close the window." The Klingon sentence {pa'vamDaq jIbIr}
means "I am cold in this room" ({pa'vamDaq,} "in this room"; {jIbIr,} "I
am cold") – nothing more, nothing less. (KGT, p. 105)

I'm not sure if this leaves room for interpretation. Maybe we have more
canon examples on the usage of {bIr}.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"