[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: vel

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 12 09:07:21 PDT 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, September 10, 2022

Klingon word: vel
Part of speech: verb
Definition: cover, coat, mask
Source: Marc Okrand, Email 01/09/2012

rav vel tlhIm
the carpet covers the floor (Lieven < MO, 1/09/2012)

rav velmeH tlhIm lo'
lay a carpet ("use a carpet to cover the floor") (Lieven < MO, 1/09/2012)

SEE ALSO:
qat 		wrap, encase (v)
pID 		coat (food) with herbed mixture (v)
HuS 		hang (v)
jech 		disguise (v)
So' 		hide, conceal, cloak (v)

velwI'  		coverer,  coater,  masker (n)
 -- (i.e. person who lays the carpet) (Litaer < MO, 1/09/2012)
cheSvel 	type of coat (n)
jech  		disguise,  costume (n)
qab jech 	mask (n)
  - “This is a mask as a disguise, not a surgical mask” (Hamletmachine notes)
tetyub 		coating, enamel (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last