[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lIl

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 6 07:43:59 PDT 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, September 06, 2022

Klingon word: 	lIl
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	simulate, impersonate
Source: 	November 2016 email to Lieven

(Lieven, 11/25/2016):  {lIl} is a verb meaning something like simulate, impersonate. The idea is one of doing something such that the subject of the verb looks or behaves like something (or someone) else or represents something (or someone) else. The word has no connotation of fraud or anything underhanded (in this respect, it’s like {ghet}). The object is the thing being simulated or the person being impersonated. […]  perform [stage] magic (as Kalibo does) is {mIn yuq} or {’IDnar lIl}.

TREK TRIVIA:
  Future Alexander impersonated K'mtar, gin'tak to the House of Mogh, when he travelled back through time. (TNG "Firstborn")

 PUN:
 1. “did you know there is a big flight simulator in the French city of Lille?” (Lieven, 7/06/2017) “Looking back to what I wrote then, I agree with De'vID that this is a mere coincidence. Another connection is {'uSgheb qep} - a French qepHom - which took place in the city of Lille. But also that is a pure coincidence.” (Lieven, 4/04/2022);
 2. “I think it's more likely that {lIl} is a joke based on the similarity of the lowercase ell and uppercase eye in a sans serif typeface. The meaning of the verb is that something looks like or behaves like something else. Thus, {l lIl I 'ej I lIl l}.  I think Okrand is likely aware that the Latin alphabet characters used to transcribe 'It and lay are often mixed up by people who copy Klingon words or sentences without understanding the allowed phonology.” (De’vID, 4/04/2022)

SEE:
lIlwI'  		simulator, impersonator (n)

‘IDnar  		magic,  wizardry (n)
‘IDnar pIn’a’  	wizard,  sorcerer (n)
‘IDnar lIlwI’  	[stage] magician (n)
mIn yuqwI’ 	[stage] magician (n)
yuq  		outwit,  outsmart (v)

SEE ALSO:
Da 		behave as, act in the manner of (v)
ngeb 		be counterfeit, false, fake (v)
pargh 		be synthetic, artificial (v)
ghet 		pretend (v)

HoQ 		be honored falsely, be falsely honorable (v)
Qaq 		behave falsely honorably, behave in a falsely honorable manner (v)
mIl 		be formerly honored (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last