[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: po

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 1 07:16:45 PDT 2022

Klingon word: 	po
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	morning

maj po
Good morning! (greeting) (TNK!)

Po
"A.M." (Paramount's Star Trek Klingon digital watch)

(msn.onstage.startrek.expert.Okrand 6/29/1997):  {DaHjaj po} "this morning" (lit. today morning or today's morning.) ... Phrases such as {jajvam po} "this day morning" or "this morning" are not common, but they're not ungrammatical either...  {wa'leS po} "tomorrow morning", {cha'leS po} "the morning of the day after tomorrow" (literally "two-days-from-now morning"), and so on work quite nicely.

SEE:
po Ha'DIbaH  	(type of animal) (n)
  - (HQ 10.4:5):  Another [animal which is particularly noisy at dawn], though not a bird, is the {Qa'}, specifically the {jajlo' Qa'} ("dawn Qa'") ... Makes a particular ruckus at dawn. Maltz said he has also heard the phrase {po Ha'DIbaH}, literally 'morning animal', used to refer to the {'uSgheb}. He thinks {po Ha'DIbaH} has some sort of literary source, since it is used in operas and plays but not often in everyday speech. Maltz supposed that {po Ha'DIbaH} could refer to a {jajlo' Qa'} as well.

SEE ALSO:
jaj  		day (from dawn to dawn) (n)
jajlo' 		dawn (n)
jajlo’ chum  	sunrise ("colorful dawn") (n)
chuS 		be noisy (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last