[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'el

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 31 07:46:34 PDT 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, October 31, 2022

Klingon word: 	'el
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	enter, go in
Source: 	TKD

mIch 'elpu' jay'
They've entered the @#$% sector! TKD

'ach HoD, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'
But Captain, that course will take us into the [Great] Barrier as well! ST5

HIq DaSammeH tach yI'el
To find ale, go into a bar. TKW

tach vI'el, HItlhej
Let's go to the pub. RTb

yI'el!
Enter! KGT

neHmaH Da'el net tu'
Caught breaching the Neutral Zone. MKE

ghe'tor 'el qeylIS | rIQbe' ghaH 'ej QaD
And Kahless enters Gre'thor Unharmed and safe. PB

ghe'tor Da'elta' 'ej lojmItmeyvo' Damejta' 'ach bIrIQbe'mo' SoH neH
Since you are the only one Who ever entered Gre'thor, And left the gates unharmed  (PB)

ghe'tor vegh Duj | Suto'vo'qor lojmItmey 'el Duj
The barge went through Gre'thor Into the gates of Sto-vo-kor PB

pa' 'elDI' Duj 'Iw HIq pIw qagh pIw je lularghlu'chu'
The smell of bloodwine and gagh Filled the barge upon entering. PB

vavlI' loDnI'lI' je DaSammeH ghe'tor Da'elmo' 'ej Damejmo' QeHchoH qa'pu' vaj lubIjlu'
They will pay for the anger you caused by entering and leaving, Gre'thor in search of your kin. PB

QaQ qeylIS Duj | ghe'tor 'elmeH yapbe' may' 'e' Sovchu'
Kahless knows by instinct a fight will not suffice to enter the land of the dead. PB

'elta' nuv law' cheghta' pagh
Many have entered, none have returned. PB

molor HoSghaj woQ / luDoQ / 'el chaH 'e' lupoQ
In the name Of Molor the Mighty,    Demanding to get in. PB

nISbogh Duj! tlhIngan wo' Daq'a' bo'elpu'!
[…] You have entered the jurisdiction of the Klingon Empire! (ST11 deleted line)

nebeylI' 'elrupchoHmeH Hoch lom ghopDu'wIj vIlo'.
I will prepare each of the slain for entombment with my own hands. (DSC/Qov "Battle At the Binary Stars")

  When asked about {bav}, Okrand says "You don't need a {-Daq}. Just use whatever it is that you are orbiting. When subsequently asked about {'el}, Okrand says "Same thing." Note that Okrand says you can say {pa'Daq vI'el}. (IMO, HQ 7.4 [Dec. 1998])

  "There are a few verbs whose meanings include locative notions, such as {ghoS} "approach, proceed". The locative suffix need not be used on nouns which are the objects of such verbs... If the locative suffix is used with such verbs, the resulting sentence is somewhat redundant, but not out-and-out wrong." (TKD 28)

  "Thus, if the occupant of a room heard a door chime, there would probably be no misunderstanding as a result of his or her saying {yI'Il!} (Be sincere!) rather than the correct {yI'el!} (Enter!). In the situation at hand, only "Enter!" makes any sense." (KGT 189)

   When Worf buzzed his door, Kurn replied from within: “Come in! {'el!}” (CpK? TNG "Sins of the Father")

SEE ALSO:
ten 		embark (v)
tIj 		board (v)
yong 		get in [vehicle?] (v)

vev 		insert, put in (v)
naw' 		access (v)
poSmoH 	open (v)
mej 		leave, depart (v)

DIn 		open entryway (to corridor, tunnel, conduit, etc.) (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last