[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'evta'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 25 07:21:24 PDT 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Klingon word: 	'evta'
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	*evta*, newt, salamander, type of animal
Source: 	qep'a' 24 [2017]

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

PUN:
"The OED tells me the origin of the word newt is from the Middle English 'an ewt' (ewt from the Old English efeta). Eft, a dialect term for newt or a zoological term for its juvenile form, is also derived from the OE term." (Jeremy Silver [date?])

(MO's KCD audio):  Although {lung} is translated as lizard, it actually can refer to any animal of that general shape, such as a newt or salamander.

SEE:
ghargh 		serpent (n)
lung 		*loong* [type of lizardlike animal] (n)
QIncha' 	*krincha* (type of lizard) (n)

SEE ALSO:
ghISDen 	scales (n)
tlhuQ 		tail (n)
QIm 		egg (n)
pel'aQ 		shell (n)
pach 		claw (n)

ghIS 		wriggle, squirm (v)
  - "a word you might use when describing a bowl full of qagh" (qep'a' 2017)
ngov 		slither, wriggle, squirm, writhe (v)
  -  “Slither ‘like a snake’." (qep’a’ 2021)
‘orgh 		scitter (v)
  - “like a startled lizard or bug” (qep’a’ 2021)
‘eD 		crawl (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last