[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: neH

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 19 08:07:11 PDT 2022

Klingon word: neH
Part of speech: adv
Definition: only, just

(TKD 56f):  One word fits somewhat awkwardly into this category: {neH} "only, merely, just". Unlike the other adverbials, it follows the verb which it modifies. The semantic effect is one of trivializing the action:
	qama' vIqIppu' neH 	I merely hit the prisoner.
	Duj yIQotlh neH 	Just disable the ship!
Also unlike the other adverbials, {neH} can follow a noun. In such cases, it means "only, alone".
	yaS neH 		only the officer, the officer alone.
	jonta' neH 		only the engine.

(ghunchu'wI', 7/16/2012):  I once ordered {bIQ neH} to drink at a restaurant. Marc Okrand, sitting across the table from me, suggested that I really meant {bIQ mob}.  That would have been proper if I were not having anything else. As I did intend to order food as well, however, my usage was correct. I wanted "mere water" as opposed to "water alone”.

(qurgh, 7/28/2017 < qep’a’ 2017):  I also asked Marc again about using {-Ha'} on adverbs. He said that if it makes sense, then {-Ha'} could be used. I offered the example of {tlhIngan Hol neHHa' vIjatlh} and he translated that as "I speak not only Klingon" as in "I speak many languages including Klingon".  He says that *{vajHa'} still doesn't make sense.

(qurgh < MO, 7/23/2018):  As for {gher'ID} ["results,  outcome,  effect,  repercussions,  consequence,  ramification"] — All of the English words could be singular or plural, whichever makes the most sense given the context. If, in Klingon, it's important to indicate plurality, use {-mey}; if it's important to indicate singularity, use {wa'} along with {neH} (or something along those lines).

-- More examples of {neH} following the verb:

qo'mey Sar charghtaHvIS chaH Dat tlhIngan may'Duj luleghDI' neH qIb nganpu' buQpu' may'Duj 'ej ghIjpu' 'oH. nIteb ghIjpu' je Deghvam
this symbol grew to become as feared throughout the galaxy as the menacing profiles of their battlecruisers. SP1

yIQeqQo' neH.  DoS yIqIp
Don't just aim; hit the target! TKW
roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH.
[Qo'noS] is usually referred to as simply "The Homeworld." S27

bIghHa'Daq.  Such neH
In jail. Just visiting. MKE

jatlh 'e' mevDI' nuvpu' mejmoH ghaH ratlh be'nalDaj luqara' neH.
After his last words, all were sent away, but his wife Lukara. PB

quv vuv nuv pagh ghajbogh neH
Honor is for those with nothing to lose! PB

Dung qo’ pawDI’ qeylIS qorDu’ je ta’’e’ neH bop bommey.
Upon reaching the upper world, no one could speak of anything, but the deeds of Kahless and his kin. PB

chaH neH wovmoHlu'be'
The sun shone not on them only (PB)

-- More examples of {neH} following the noun:

matHa', DoS jonta' neH
Gunner: target engine only. ST3

baHwI' DoS yIbuS.  QuQ neH. yaj'a'
Gunner: Target engine only Understood? ST3

yIvbeHlIj neH DapoSmoH vIneH
The only thing I want you to open is your blouse. (ST5 notes)

Hagh qoHpu' neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'
Only fools laugh while warriors die. PK

not qoHpu''e' neH ghIjlu'
Only fools have no fear. TKW

meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH
Only a fool fights in a burning house. TKW

Suvlu'taHvIS yapbe' HoS neH
Brute strength is not the most important asset in a fight. TKW

'ang'eghQo' quv Hutlhbogh jagh neH ghobtaHvIS ghaH
Only an enemy without honor refuses to show himself in battle. TKW

wa' DoS neH yIbuS
Focus on but one target. TKW

HIvbe' qoHpu' neH
Only fools don't attack. TKW

 Hegh neH chav qoH
A fool's only achievement is death. TKW

veymey puS neH chenmoHlu'pu'
Limited Edition. ("Only a few copies have been made.") MKE

'ej chIvo' neH chIw vum'e'
And this man has none. STID

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last