[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: naHnagh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 18 07:58:12 PDT 2022

Klingon word: 	naHnagh
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	pit (of fruit)
Source: 	KGT:p89

(KGT 89):  Klingons typically gnaw ({choptaH}--literally, "continue biting") on the nut until it cracks open, and then they spit out ({tlhIS}) the pieces of shell (occasionally at a nearby diner, as a gesture of sociability) before chewing and swallowing the rest. Similarly, they will usually gnaw on the hard pit of some fruits ({naHnagh} -- literally, "fruit stone") until it can be chewed and swallowed, but it is not considered out of place to treat the pit as a shell and spit out the pieces.

SEE:
naH		fruit/vegetable (n)
nagh		rock,  stone;  ceramic material (n)

SEE ALSO:
yub 		shell (of fruit, nut) (n)
yub 		husk, rind, peel (n)
naHlet 		nut(s) (n)

nagh DIr  	shell (of an animal) (n)
pel'aQ 		eggshell (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last