[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tIw

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 17 07:36:43 PDT 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, October 15, 2022

Klingon word: tIw
Part of speech: verb
Definition: react emotionally, behave emotionally
Source: qepHom 2017

cheghDI' bangwI' jItIw.
[translation not provided] (qepHom 2017)

DaghIjlu'chugh bItIwqu'
Fear speaks very loud.
("If you're scared, you'll react really emotionally") (Lieven < MO, 2/02/2018)

jItIwmo' jIvangbe'.
My commitment to this course of action is not emotional. (DSC/LLLsub "The Vulcan Hello")

matIwtaHvIS pa'logh nIyma' wIleghchugh
When emotions brings us ghosts from the past (DSC/LLLsub "The Vulcan Hello")

(Lieven interviews Okrand, qepHom 2017):
MO: 	For logic, use the verb {meq}. It's a verb that means, among other things, think logically. I think Klingons would use a verb when talking about types of thinking rather than a noun. For emotions, you can use the verb {tIw}. This means react emotionally, behave emotionally.
LLL: 	Can {tIw} take an object? As with meaning of "feeling emotions", being one's own, or someone else emotions?
MO: 	No. I don't think it can take an object. You'd probably say something like:  {cheghDI' bangwI' jItIw}.

TREK NOTES:
  "I must confess that I too am moved emotionally. I know it is illogical." (Spock to Romulan Commander, TOS "The Enterprise Incident")]

SEE ALSO:
DuQ 		touch (emotionally) (v)
nong 		be passionate (v)
meq 		think logically (v)
--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last