[tlhIngan Hol] «jIH je» and variations

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 11:22:41 PST 2022

I think this falls into the pit of things we can’t be sure about.

Basically, we ask ourselves four questions:

1. Do we know that it’s right to use {jIH je} when we mean to add first person singular to the subject of what someone else just said? Answer: No.

2. Do we know that it’s wrong? Answer: No.

3. Would a human speaking Klingon with the language resources we now have understand you if you said this? Answer: Yes.

4. Would a Klingon in the Star Trek Universe think you were misspeaking if you said this? Answer: We have no idea.

If this happened in casual conversation among us, I think it’s forgivable. If you really care about what has been vetted as canon, this is probably not a good utterance. As pointed out, the joke canon suggests that, as is often the case, in Klingon, the verb is core to Klingon expression, and if you want to add “Me, too” to a verb other than “to be”, you probably need to repeat the verb that the speaker uttered.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)