[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lolSeHcha

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 17 11:19:33 PST 2022

What are some of the other "unnecessary" words you like to use?  I wondered about {choljaH} ponytail holder, {quHvaj dandruff}, {ngav} writer's cramp, and {nIvnav} pajamas.  Okrand must have been a bit bored when he came up with these.

I suspect Okrand came up with {nIvnav} while trying to translate the old Groucho Marx joke "I just shot an elephant in my pajamas... and how he got in my pajamas I'll never know!", although we only got {'e'levan} in 2017.  (Maybe he preferred a "targ in my pajamas" instead.)   OTOH Worf and Alexander were seen wearing pajamas in several TNG and DS9 episodes:  "Genesis", "Ethics", "A Fistful of Datas", "Firstborn", “Change of Heart” and “Time’s Orphan”.  (See the illustrations in TKW pp. 70, 146 and 176.)

Voragh