[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ngem

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 10 08:28:32 PST 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, November 10, 2022

Klingon word: 	ngem
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	forest, woods

tlhab; ngem Ha'DIbaH rur
free (independent) as a forest animal (KGT)
(KGT 132):  though this refers to how or where any animal lives rather than to a specific animal

ngem Sarghmey tlha'laH
be able to chase forest sarks (KGT 111)
(idiom used to indicate that one is capable of following anyone or anything--that is, that one is capable of understanding even the most complex of discussions or of solving the most intricate of problems)

qatlh ngemDaq ghaHtaH molor Duy'e' marqagh puqloD'e'
What is an envoy of Molor, Son of Markag, doing in these woods? (PB)

DaqtaghlIj yIlel qeylIS
   ngemvamDaq Ha'DIbaHmey tIHoH
   wa' targh cha' tlhInganpu'qoq je
Kahless, pull your *d'k tahg*,
   Kill the beasts in this forest,
   One a targ, and two who call themselves Klingon. (PB)

SEE:
*SIyDIr ngem 	the Cedar Grove (GIL)
  -  i.e. the forest guarded by the terrible Humbaba

Sargh  		*sark* (Klingon riding animal, similar to a horse)

SEE ALSO:
Sor  		tree (n)
Qechjem’a’ 	trunk (of tree) (n)
bartIq 		branch (of tree) (n)
pu’veng 	twig (n)
por 		leaf (of plant) (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last