[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lolSeHcha

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 9 07:37:05 PST 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, November 09, 2022

Klingon word: 	lolSeHcha
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	attitude-control thruster
Source: 	TKD (93 KE, 121 EK)

I.e. Small propulsion units used to control the spacial orientation of a spacecraft (its attitude: i.e. {Der} "yaw", {tor} "pitch", {ron} "roll").

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

(Qov [date?]):  These would be the small cross-shaped rocket packs one sees on the sides of the Apollo series Service Module, or the clusters of rockets in the nose and on either side of the tail of the Space Shuttle. (They are also the small square openings in four spots around the saucer of the Enterprise-A which are surrounded by orange paint.)

(HolQeD 11.2: 8-9):  Weirdly, although Maltz said he knew of no noun meaning attitude, the noun {lol} may show up in {lolSeHcha} attitude control thrusters. Although the middle element of this word, {she}, is certainly the verb control, the full etymology of this word is far from clear. (If the final element, {cha}, is, in fact, {cha} torpedoes, this may shed some light on early versions of the device. On the other hand, something else may be going on here; maybe {lolSeHcha} is shortened from a longer construction. Maltz didn't know the answer, but he said it was an interesting question.

TREK NOTES:
  Chang's cloaked BOP fired upon Kronos One, causing it to list and spin almost out of control. The "attitude control thrusters" were disabled. (ST6)

  "Maneuvering thrusters are not responding!" (Ens. Ro, TNG "Cause and Effect")

SEE ALSO:
'eDSeHcha 		take-off/landing thrusters (n)
chuyDaH 		thrusters (pl. n.)
vIj 			thruster (sg. n.)

laQ 			fire [e.g. thrusters] (v)
ghoS 			thrust (v)
vo' 			propel (v)

Der  			yaw (i.e. aircraft); veer right/left  (v)
tor  			pitch (i.e. aircraft) (v)
ron  			roll, bank (i.e. aircraft);  be rolling

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last